Debate Association (Singapore) is proud to announce the details of this year’s June Camp for primary school students!
Our June camps are targeted at Primary 4-6 students (aged 10-12), and are divided into 2 camps for beginners and more seasoned debaters respectively:
Camp Ignis (Beginner Camp)
Camp Ignis is an entry level camp targeted at beginners. The camp will cover the basics of debate, including how to set a debate case and formulate new arguments, with ample opportunities to put their newfound skills to work.
Camp Excelsior (Intermediate Camp)
Camp Excelsior is an intermediate camp targeted at more seasoned debaters with relevant competitive experience (at least 2 rounds of debating experience at Wits & Words / Primary School Debate Open). The camp will cover more advanced content, such as how to deal with different motion types and how to craft more sophisticated arguments.
Both camps are an excellent way for students to meet and interact with like-minded peers, while acquiring new skills / honing their existing capabilities.
This year we will also be conducting a 2.5 hour workshop titled "Introduction to Debate for Teachers". The workshop will be held in conjunction with Camp Ignis for beginners, and will focus on (i) the basics of debating; (ii) how to guide debaters in preparing / training for debates; and (iii) how judges evaluate teams during a debate.
Please click on “Continue Reading” for more details on (e.g. dates, venue and registration).
A message from Team Singapore Debate Alumni.
The Division Finals for the Secondary Schools Debating Championships 2014 have concluded and the results are available below.
We would like to thank all schools and participants for making this year's SSDCs a success. Special thanks goes out to adjudicators, teachers and student volunteers of host schools for giving of their time and effort to ensure a smooth competition experience for all.
Congratulations to this year's champion teams from Catholic High School (Division I), Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) (Division II) and Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) (Division III)!
Click "Continue Reading" for more details
Debate Association (Singapore) is pleased to announce that we will be conducting the Primary School Debate Open (PSDO) again in Jul 2014!
In collaboration with Methodist Girls’ School (Primary), this year’s PSDO aims to focus heavily on training students in the art of debate. To do this, PSDO will feature:
- A show debate by skilled Secondary school debaters will be conducted to showcase what high-level debating is to Primary school students;
- Additional time catered for individual feedback by experienced judges;
- A new way of pairing schools together to maximise the learning value of each round. Schools will be divided into two divisions based on their performance at Wits and Words 2014: The upper 50% (Division 1), and lower 50% (Division 2) of teams. Schools will compete against each other within each division, and the top 4 teams of each division will advance to their respective Semi-Finals and Grand Finals.
With these changes, PSDO will expose participants to high-level debating, whilst ensuring that each round is a meaningful learning opportunity for students. As there will be 2 separate Semi-Finals and Grand Finals, the talents of more students will also be recognised.
For more details on the two divisions, please download “FAQ on PSDO Divisions” here: PSDO 2014 FAQ.
Please also click on “Continue Reading” for more details on the tournament and registration.
Debate Association (Singapore) is happy to announce that we will be organising a British Parliamentary tournament for Secondary school students in December!
In the spirit of the school holidays, no uniforms will be allowed. Students may also either register together with their follow school mates, or team up with friends from other schools to form a ‘mixed-institution’ team. Finally, motions will be unique, innovative and challenging.
The inaugural tournament will be sponsored by the Singapore National Co-Operative Federation. Other key information are as follows:
- Dates: 13 December and 14 December 2014
- Format: British Parliamentary Format
- Venue: To be Announced
Do mark the dates in your calendars and look out for more information as the date draws nearer!
Mark Gabriel, Tournament Director of SSSDC, has released the breaking teams of SSSDC to all Secondary Schools! After 3 hard-fought preliminary rounds, the following teams have qualified for the Quarter-Finals of this year's Singapore Secondary Schools Debating Championships:
1. Catholic High School (3 wins)
2. Singapore Chinese Girls' School (3 wins)
3. Hwa Chong Institution (2 wins)
4. Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) (2 wins)
5. Raffles Institution (2 wins)
6. C.H.I.J. St. Joseph's Convent (2 wins)
7. St. Joseph's Institution (2 wins)
8. N.U.S. High (2 wins)
1. Tanjong Katong Girls' School (3 wins)
2. Victoria School (3 wins)
3. St. Andrew's Secondary School (3 wins)
4. Maris Stella High School (2 wins)
5. Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) (2 wins)
6. St. Margaret's Secondary School (2 wins)
7. St. Anthony's Canossian Secondary School (2 wins)
8. National Junior College (Junior High) (2 wins)
1. Queenstown Secondary School (3 wins)
2. Tanjong Katong Secondary School (3 wins)
3. Loyang Secondary School (3 wins)
4. Bukit Batok Secondary School (3 wins)
5. Evergreen Secondary School (3 wins)
6(=). Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) (2 wins)
6(=). Madrasah Al-Ma'arif Al-Islamiah (2 wins)
8. Serangoon Secondary School (2 wins)
Congratulations to these teams, who will now move on to the Quarter-Final round on Friday 28th March.
Click "Continue Reading" for more details