Debate Association (Singapore) is pleased to announce that we will be conducting the Primary School Debate Open (PSDO) again in Jul 2014!
In collaboration with Methodist Girls’ School (Primary), this year’s PSDO aims to focus heavily on training students in the art of debate. To do this, PSDO will feature:
- A show debate by skilled Secondary school debaters will be conducted to showcase what high-level debating is to Primary school students;
- Additional time catered for individual feedback by experienced judges;
- A new way of pairing schools together to maximise the learning value of each round. Schools will be divided into two divisions based on their performance at Wits and Words 2014: The upper 50% (Division 1), and lower 50% (Division 2) of teams. Schools will compete against each other within each division, and the top 4 teams of each division will advance to their respective Semi-Finals and Grand Finals.
With these changes, PSDO will expose participants to high-level debating, whilst ensuring that each round is a meaningful learning opportunity for students. As there will be 2 separate Semi-Finals and Grand Finals, the talents of more students will also be recognised.
For more details on the two divisions, please download “FAQ on PSDO Divisions” here: PSDO 2014 FAQ.
Please also click on “Continue Reading” for more details on the tournament and registration.
Debate Association (Singapore) is happy to announce that we will be organising a British Parliamentary tournament for Secondary school students in December!
In the spirit of the school holidays, no uniforms will be allowed. Students may also either register together with their follow school mates, or team up with friends from other schools to form a ‘mixed-institution’ team. Finally, motions will be unique, innovative and challenging.
The inaugural tournament will be sponsored by the Singapore National Co-Operative Federation. Other key information are as follows:
- Dates: 13 December and 14 December 2014
- Format: British Parliamentary Format
- Venue: To be Announced
Do mark the dates in your calendars and look out for more information as the date draws nearer!
Mark Gabriel, Tournament Director of SSSDC, has released the breaking teams of SSSDC to all Secondary Schools! After 3 hard-fought preliminary rounds, the following teams have qualified for the Quarter-Finals of this year's Singapore Secondary Schools Debating Championships:
1. Catholic High School (3 wins)
2. Singapore Chinese Girls' School (3 wins)
3. Hwa Chong Institution (2 wins)
4. Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) (2 wins)
5. Raffles Institution (2 wins)
6. C.H.I.J. St. Joseph's Convent (2 wins)
7. St. Joseph's Institution (2 wins)
8. N.U.S. High (2 wins)
1. Tanjong Katong Girls' School (3 wins)
2. Victoria School (3 wins)
3. St. Andrew's Secondary School (3 wins)
4. Maris Stella High School (2 wins)
5. Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) (2 wins)
6. St. Margaret's Secondary School (2 wins)
7. St. Anthony's Canossian Secondary School (2 wins)
8. National Junior College (Junior High) (2 wins)
1. Queenstown Secondary School (3 wins)
2. Tanjong Katong Secondary School (3 wins)
3. Loyang Secondary School (3 wins)
4. Bukit Batok Secondary School (3 wins)
5. Evergreen Secondary School (3 wins)
6(=). Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) (2 wins)
6(=). Madrasah Al-Ma'arif Al-Islamiah (2 wins)
8. Serangoon Secondary School (2 wins)
Congratulations to these teams, who will now move on to the Quarter-Final round on Friday 28th March.
Click "Continue Reading" for more details
Click "Continue Reading" for more details
Over the weekend of 25-26 January 2014, 32 teams from across all three Divisions of the Secondary School debate circuit participated in the inaugural Speak! Ventures Debate Championships (SVDC) 2014.
Jointly organised by Speak! Ventures and Debate Association (Singapore), the SVDC was a great opportunity for school teams to hone their abilities in the run-up to the national championships. In particular, teams benefited from a strong line-up of adjudicators, led by Mr. Mark Gabriel - Chief Adjudicator of the National Championships, Team Singapore co-coaches Mr. Darion Hotan and Mr. Tan Teck Wei, as well as Mr. Eric Jude Tan and Ms. Cherylyn Wee of Debate Association (Singapore).
Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Health & Ministry of Transport, Dr. Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim also graced the Gold Finals.
After 5 hotly contested rounds, Xinmin Secondary School A and Hwa Chong Institution A emerged Champion Teams of the Silver and Gold Divisions respectively. The Top Speakers of the Silver and Gold Divisions were Lin Mingxuan (Maris Stella High School) and Cheang Ko Lyn (Singapore Chinese Girls’ School) respectively.
Last but not least, SVDC would not have been possible without the kind support of Pioneer Junior College’s Debate Society, as well as all volunteer judges.
Note: Speak! Ventures is a professional development consultancy firm specializing in public speaking and communications training for individuals of all ages.
Click "Continue Reading" for more results:
Click "Continue Reading" for more information.